Almost every driver in the Long Island City area wants to spend their time in a vehicle that feels welcoming, fresh, and clean! However, whether you drive an SUV or a hatchback, the interior car care process isn’t always simple and straightforward. Here, we’ve collected a few of the top tips that can help drivers save time and energy when cleaning the inside of their vehicle:
- When detailing the interior of your vehicle, it’s best to move from top to bottom. Clean off all surfaces before moving on to cleanse the seats and the carpeting.
- If you’re going to clean your glass, make sure to rely on a specialized glass cleaner without ammonia. Other products will leave streaks and limit your visibilty.
- Although one can often substitute household cleaners in an emergency, it’s better to choose products designed for the surfaces in your vehicle.
- Tons of dust can get trapped in your vehicle’s air conditioning vents, but you can clean them thoroughly with a little hands-on attention and a small brush. Make sure you’re regularly changing your cabin air filter, too!
Want to understand the interior car care process from start to finish? Read on to learn more with Major World.
How to Take Care of Your Car Interior
When you’re finding out how to take care of your car interior, it’s important to distinguish between tasks that should be performed every week, and tasks that only need to be performed on occasion.
- Weekly Tasks: Wipe down all hard surfaces to remove dust and fingerprints. Shake out your floor mats. Remove larger debris and pet hair.
- Occasional Tasks: Vacuum and clean all fabric or leather surfaces. Apply protectant or conditioner after cleaning. Clean the glass as well as other hard-to-reach areas, like the air vents. Purchase and install a new air freshener, or use a specialized deodorizer to remove lasting smells.
Regularly cleaning your seats and carpeting is one of the most important interior car care tasks. We’ve described the basic elements of the process for your convenience:
- Start by vacuuming the seats and the carpet. This will remove larger debris and make the rest of the process much easier.
- Take the appropriate cleaning fluid, and spray it onto the fabric surfaces you’re going to target. Keep the windows down and avoid saturating the fabric in order to accelerate the drying process.
- Use a brush to rub the cleaner into the fabric and free up any dirt and grime. When suds start to appear, wipe them up with a microfiber towel.
- Repeat the process until you’re satisfied with the results.
- Re-vacuum the area to pick up excess fluid and remove any lingering dirt.
The tips we’ve collected here will work for most vehicles, but depending on the kind of car you drive, you might want to know how to care for a leather car interior. The process for cleaning leather seats is similar to the process described above, but you’ll want to exercise extra caution when vacuuming, so as to avoid scratching the material. You’ll also want to use a specialized leather cleaner. Lastly, you should have a leather brush on hand for set-in stains. Use a microfiber cloth to apply conditioner afterward.
Interior Car Care Products
We’ve described the interior car care process above, but if you’re planning to do some interior car detailing, having the right tools for the job is of the utmost importance. The following tools and products will all come in handy when you set about cleaning your vehicle:
- Microfiber towels and wet wipes
- Vinyl, Rubber, or Leather cleaning fluid
- Glass cleaner
- Fabric cleaner
- Protectant and or conditioner for each surface
- Small paint brush or detailing brush
- Larger brush designed to clean fabric or leather, as appropriate to your vehicle
- Air fresheners or odor eliminator
These helpful products, and many more, can be purchased at your local parts department!
Let Major World Be Your Car Care Guide!
When it comes to interior car care, no one knows how to get the job done like an all-used car dealer–and no one knows used vehicles like Major World. The same goes for routine maintenance—read our guide here. Contact us today if you have any questions about how to take care of your car interior, getting dents out of your car’s exterior, and learn the five main reasons why you should buy used. The experts at our service department are well-prepared to help with any task you can think of, so you can drive through Bronx and Jersey City in style. Speaking of our service department, since you’re still here, find out why you should choose us over any other Long Island City automotive service shops.