Looking to be more fuel-efficient when driving around Brooklyn? You can change your driving habits by doing things like coasting to a stop or reducing A/C use. But there’s a point at which the returns for doing such things simply stop. There are other ways to help drive greener though, most notably purchasing an electric vehicle or hybrid. But what’s the difference? Which alternative fuel vehicle type is better suited to your needs? Major World has the details!
Hybrid Cars vs. Electric Cars: a Primer
Compare hybrid vs. electric cars, and you’ll quickly realize that both types of vehicles are far more efficient than similar gasoline-only vehicles. But why? Both hybrids and electric vehicles utilize an electrified component that’s simply more efficient to run. Let’s get into the nitty-gritty of it all so you can have a deeper understanding of the issue.
Hybrid electric vehicles, or hybrids as they’re commonly referred to, have the following characteristics:
- A secondary electric motor that supplants a gasoline engine.
- Power delivery where both gas and electric motors work in tandem to provide the force needed to move forward.
- A battery pack for the electric motor that self-charges, so you never have to plug into a power source.
An electric vehicle ( or EV) runs solely on electric power. Characteristics of this kind of vehicle include:
- There is no engine, just a battery, and an electric motor.
- A much larger batter than hybrids employ.
- The ability to be plugged into a home or public charging station to charge the battery — or even use fully renewable energy charging!
Benefits of Hybrids vs. Electric Vehicles
Hybrids require little sacrifice when it comes to changing driving habits. Other hybrid benefits include:
- The battery charges itself
- You can stop and fuel up at any gas station
- Hybrids are often more affordable than EVs
EVs require no gas but could require major adjustments in mindset about driving, charging, and trip-planning. Still, the benefits of EVs are undeniable, and include:
- Low or zero tailpipe emissions
- Fewer maintenance costs (no oil changes or engine upkeep)
- Potential EV incentives based on your location
- Flexible charging options, including home and public options
- Quieter ride with no engine noise
- No money spent on gas
Compare Hybrid vs. Electric Cars at Major World
Are you ready to see if a hybrid or an EV is right for your Bronx drives? Contact us to schedule a test drive! Meanwhile, check out our other comparisons to learn more about things like how coupes vs. sedans differ. We’re here to help with all your automotive needs and answer your questions!