How Do I Program My BMW Key Fob?
No matter if your BMW key fob has dead batteries or is broken, you’ll need to know how to program the keyless entry on your BMW key fob. Luckily, this is a simple process for Queens drivers to take care of their own. There are two basic methods to use; one is when you already have a working key but want to program additional keys, and the other is when you don’t have a working key and need to start from square one. Learn more about both with our service team at Major World in Long Island City.
Programming Additional BMW Key Fobs
If your key fob is working, but you wish to program additional keys, here are the steps you’ll need to follow:
- Take the working key fob along with the ones you want to program inside the car with all doors and windows closed.
- Put the working key into the ignition and turn it to position one (in other words, turn it but don’t start the engine). At this point, the dash lights and accessories should turn on.
- Turn the key back and remove.
- On the working key, hold down the unlock button and press the lock button (the BMW logo) 3 times, then release the unlock button. The doors will then automatically lock and unlock.
- Take the new key and hold down the unlock button while pressing the BMW logo three times, then release the unlock button. Again, the doors should lock and unlock, and you’re done!
Programming a New Key from Scratch
Follow these instructions for programming a new key when you do not have a working key fob:
- Insert the key into the ignition and turn it to position one and back rapidly five times.
- Remove the key from the ignition.
- Hold the unlock button and press the BMW logo three times, then release the unlock button.
- If you have additional keys you’d like to program at this time, repeat step three within 30 seconds from the original key programming.
- Turn on the ignition to complete the process.
Need Help with BMW Key Fob Programming? Visit Major World
If you’re unsure about these instructions or need some assistance with the process, don’t hesitate to contact our service team or visit us near Brooklyn and Bronx. We also offer service tips to help you learn more about the other services your vehicle needs. In need of a new BMW key battery? Check out our parts center to get the genuine BMW parts you need.