Are you in the market for a used car for your Long Island City commute or your Queens job? Buying a vehicle can be a stressful process, especially if you’re unsure which questions to ask. At Major World, we want to make sure that you have all the information you need to find the right used vehicle for your lifestyle. Read along with us as we discuss which questions to ask when buying a used car, then learn the 10 steps to buying a pre-owned car as well!
10 Questions To Ask About A Used Car
If you’re shopping for a used car in Brooklyn and you find one that fits your budget and your needs, you may be thinking “What should I ask about my used car?” You may also be wondering what you need to know about the car before you purchase it.
It’s up to you to find problem areas with the car before you purchase it to ensure you’re getting a reliable vehicle. To help you know what questions to ask when buying a used car, the team at Major World has put together this list of 10 questions to ask about a used car’s history and its current condition.
- “Can you describe the appearance of the car?” Sometimes pictures can be misleading, and if you haven’t seen the vehicle in person yet it’s a good idea to inquire about any dents, scratches, or rust before you venture out to see it.
- “How was the car maintained?” It’s important to know if a vehicle has been properly maintained at a dealership, an independent mechanic, or by the seller themself. A vehicle that has been maintained in accordance with its maintenance schedule will run smoother and longer than one that hasn’t.
- “Are service records available?” This question will help you determine if the vehicle was actually cared for properly or if it’s been neglected. A serious seller will have some sort of record of the vehicle’s maintenance history to back up their claims.
- “How many miles are on the car?” This is a good question to ask to get a better idea of the condition of the vehicle. If the vehicle has a high mileage though, don’t automatically think it’s a bad buy. A vehicle that has low mileage but has been neglected will need more service than a vehicle with high mileage that has been maintained properly.
- “Has the vehicle been in any accidents?” Typically a vehicle history report will tell you if a vehicle has been in an accident or not, but in some cases, accidents aren’t reported. Ask the seller if the vehicle has been in any kind of accident, if it was damaged, and how it was fixed.
- “What is the ownership history?” Ask this question to determine how many owners the vehicle has had. If the vehicle has changed hands frequently, then it may have an underlying problem the seller hasn’t disclosed.
- “Why are you selling the car?” This is another question that will help you learn about the condition of the vehicle. If the reason for selling the vehicle doesn’t make sense or it doesn’t sit right with you then you may want to pass on the vehicle to avoid any unexpected surprises.
- “How did you arrive at this price?” If you’re seriously considering the vehicle, ask the owner how they came to their current price. Then, use a pricing guide like Edmunds.com or Kelley Blue Book to see if their price is accurate.
- “Can I take the car to a mechanic for an inspection?” A seller who has been honest about the car’s history and quality won’t mind if you arrange for it to be inspected. If you do receive pushback or hesitation though, it could be a warning sign that something is wrong with the car.
- “Do you have the title with you?” If the seller has the title on hand, perfect! If they don’t though, that’s not a reason to worry. A longtime owner might not know where the title is at that moment, or they may not have it if there’s an outstanding loan at the bank. In these scenarios you would have to put in some extra legwork to get the title and move the car into your name.
While these are great questions to ask about a used car if you’re buying from a private seller, when you purchase a used car from a dealership, the salesperson may not be able to answer all of them. However, a used vehicle that’s being sold from a dealership like Major World has had a thorough inspection for quality and safety, and it has a vehicle history report available for you to review. Even if you haven’t started your research yet, our team would be happy to walk you through what you should ask about a used car.
Purchase a Used Car at Major World!
Now that you know what questions you should ask about a used car, browse our used vehicle inventory to find the right car for your Bronx commute or your next off-road adventure. You can also read our car buying tips for more information on things to look out for when buying a used car – like whether you can finance a car with no credit – and information on financing and insurance. When you’re ready to begin the car buying process, contact our finance team and they’ll help you apply for financing and find the value of your trade in. We look forward to hearing from you!