Everyone knows about used cars, but can the same be said about certified, pre-owned vehicles? These are cars and trucks that can represent the upper echelon of the best deals in the business. For any consumers thinking of buying a used car, there is always a certain level of trepidation about its past and future. At the end of the day, what you buy is your prerogative, but nevertheless, you should still be conscious of the commitment you are potentially moving forward with. As a luxury car dealership in the NY and NJ area, we understand that you will be faced with many vehicle choices, whether they are used or certified pre-owned. We aren’t here to sway you into believing one is better than the other, but it still helps to be aware of the distinctions between the two, so that you can make an informed purchasing decision for when the time comes. For today, let’s talk about certified pre-owned vs. used vehicles: What’s right for me?
How Certified Pre-Owned Programs Work
We would be remiss if we didn’t clearly define what certified pre-owned vehicles are. Here is a refresher: Certified pre-owned vehicles are factory-certified, used vehicles that are available for purchase at a dealership of the same brand. Typically speaking, it is an accident-free, gently used, and low mileage vehicle that is only a couple of years old. It’s different from an ordinary used vehicle because it comes with warranty coverage from the original manufacturer. Its reliability is never questioned, since it’s been properly inspected and repaired to achieve a “like-new condition”.
When it comes to dealerships putting together a certified pre-owned program, the following are the core elements needed for this program type:
- Clean Car: It starts with an impeccably cleaned, used car, which must adhere to specific standards of age and mileage. If it’s too old or has too many miles, it probably won’t be considered.
- Standards For Condition: The vehicle needs to meet certain standards for condition. Should the vehicle have major damage or mechanical issues, it will be taken out of the running.
- Reconditioning: Every certified pre-owned car will go through reconditioning, if necessary. Reconditioning takes care of any necessary repairs to the paint and body, mechanical components, and the interior. It may get a brake job, or anything else that can improve its overall condition (like installing new tires).
- Comprehensive Inspection: Certified pre-owned vehicles need to pass a comprehensive inspection process, which will cover as many as 150 or more points.
The Alternative With Used Cars
It goes without saying, but buying a used car from a luxury car dealership in the NY and NJ area, means you will be enduring less stringent requirements. Buying a used vehicle is heavily contingent on your personal needs and budget. Some of the most common reasons for customers buying a used car over a certified pre-owned are:
- Lower Price Point: An ordinary used vehicle can be hundreds or even thousands of dollars cheaper than a certified pre-owned car of the same make, model, and year. As such, it might be more enticing for you, especially if you are working with a tight budget. Even if you can manage a certified pre-owned vehicle, it’s still possible to get a used car that is just as efficient, from the same manufacturer, such as a higher trim level or more expensive model. Pre-owned cars are priced based on condition or depreciation values. Over time, a used car will experience some wear and tear, but that does not mean that all used cars are unusable.
- More Choices: Choice will be of little concern for those considering a used car. Our dealership proudly carries a host of models and trims. You might even have more leverage for a particular model.
- The Vehicle Will Be In Good Condition: Many of our used cars are in near pristine condition. When an original owner took care of the car, it will show in both its physical aesthetics and performance on the road. Our luxury car dealership in the NY and NJ area will only sell vehicles that are safe to use and in good condition.
The Decisions That Are Ahead Of You: Purchasing Your Next Vehicle With A Luxury Car Dealership In The NY And NJ Area
As mentioned earlier, there is no right or wrong answer when it comes to choosing between pre-owned and certified cars. However, we still encourage you to do your research so that when it’s all said and done, you walk out of our dealership confident in your purchase. If you are ready to see what your options are, visit us at Major World today! You are more than welcome to browse our inventory beforehand to get a better idea of what you need.