How to Trade in a Car
Between arranging countless test drives in Queens and dealing with the headache of negotiations, selling a car on the private market can be a real hassle. Luckily, learning how to trade in a car at a dealership is simple. Trading in your car at Major World is quick and straightforward, and you’ll get a terrific deal at the end of your appointment. Want to get started? Read our step-by-step guide to learn how to trade in a car, and visit us in Long Island City to get started.
Navigating the Trade-In Process
There are three basic steps to trading in your car. Here is a brief rundown:
- Find an estimate of your car’s trade-in value online.
- Get an in-person appraisal with an expert.
- Negotiate and accept your offer.
Let’s go through the steps in depth.
Find a Trade-In Estimate
The first step of the trade-in process can be completed from home. Whether you’re in Brooklyn or Bronx, you can utilize free online estimation tools to get an estimate of your car’s current market value. You can use popular options like the Kelley Blue Book® Value or Edmunds True Market Value®, or use our very own Value Your Trade tool. Your estimation is based on a multitude of factors: make, model, year, condition, and maintenance history. While this isn’t the official price you’ll receive, you can use this information to help with the negotiation process.
Get Your In-Person Appraisal
Next, it’s time to get a firm offer. Schedule an appointment with Major World to arrange your in-person appraisal. A qualified appraiser or mechanic will meet with you to gather information, run a vehicle history report, and perform a thorough inspection. Your final offer might be higher or lower than you expect, since the appraisal process is much more in-depth than the online estimation. Occasionally, the dealership will not be able to resell your vehicle. However, most well-maintained vehicles are easy to trade in – so don’t be afraid to try!
Negotiate Your Offer
You’ve gotten your offer, so now what?
- Accept: If you’re happy with your deal, go ahead and sign the paperwork! Be sure to bring the necessary documents and start browsing our inventory for your upgrade.
- Reject: Not happy with your offer? You can reject it and try another dealership.
- Negotiate: Since you have your online estimate information, you can use that to negotiate with the dealership. This can help you boost the trade-in valuation in many cases.
Trade In Your Car at Major World
Now you know how to trade in your car, want to get the ball rolling? Contact us at Major World with any questions and feel free to schedule your in-person appraisal in Long Island City!